Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Simple Sushi

Last week we met with some friends for dinner at the new sushi Restaurant in town, Simple Sushi.  Now, let me first say that I am no sushi connoisseur.  It's been over 13 years since the last time I ate sushi.  I remember liking it, but I don't remember it being something I craved and had to have again.  This was also my husband's first time to try it.  He was a bit skeptical at first, so we decided to start off with some Miso soup first.  It was very flavorful and delicious.  We then ordered a vegetarian roll which we saw the chef prepare right before our eyes.  We sat right at the bar and could see how meticulously everything was put together, it was impressive!  First bite and my husband was hooked and ready to graduate to something more serious.  We asked the chef for his recommendation and he suggested The Phoenix: seared tuna with veggies and topped with baked crab.  It was not only visually appealing, but the taste was amazing.  The Phoenix roll was our favorite.  The third one we tried was the Millipede.  I can't remember what was in it, but we didn't care for the fish eggs on top.  They looked very pretty, but they got stuck in between our teeth and when they popped they had a very fishy taste.  Some may really like that, but we'll pass on that next time.

Vegetarian Roll, The Phoenix Roll

The Millipede
Simple Sushi is tucked away at the heart of downtown Nampa right beside Messenger's Pizza.  It makes me happy to see these small businesses pop up in my community.  The owners of Simple Sushi have done an outstanding job with making their place look really nice and the staff is incredibly helpful.  We had a great "first" experience with sushi and we are looking forward to going back soon.

2 comments:

  1. I like sushi as long as there is no raw fish in it. My favorite is one with fried shrimp in it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried shrimp in sushi sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete